No announcement yet.

@gotheframe’s bagged Amazon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Working on the interior has been an ongoing process.
    Stretching VP Auto vinyl on front seat backs. Fabricated a rod to go through the built in mid seam of the vinyl and tied it to the frame crossbar using zip ties so I could get the pinch just right.

Closeup of the bottom of the front seat back. One each of two sizes of diameter rods are slid into the seams then pressed one at a time into the channel. Placing vinyl in the sun helped when it came time to stretch.

I fabricated tools to hold the rods in the channel using wooden door shims.

Finished backs.

Bottom seam.

Still have the hardware to figure out before backs are combined with seat bottoms.

Some current pics.
    A C&C with friends a few weeks back.

A C&C from last weekend that we’re shared with me.

Love this photo and it makes me want to learn how to take better pics.

1967 Volvo Amazon | IG @gotheframe

Comment

Outstanding upholstery work!
      I really like how this is turning out.

Comment

Originally posted by molarface View Post
        Outstanding upholstery work!
        I really like how this is turning out.
        Thanks! Slow going but I'll get there eventually.

Comment

Little update.

So 2020 had one last unsuspecting surprise in store for me.

Somehow Rotiform picked me as the recipient of the 2020 Christmas Giveaway.

Choosing which wheel was really a tough decision because I never anticipated going down this path aesthetically. I actually started to go down a completely different path. I gravitate towards disk type wheels so arriving at the LHR-M wasn’t surprising.

The challenge in the decision was how will I fit these 19x8.5 (only size available for this model) wheels - absolutely gigantic for the Amazon? With only two options in offset (+35 & +45), I went with +35 out of fear of needing to space out more than an inch - which was a miscalculation on my part as I had that in my head from looking into poke during suspension fab. In hindsight, a +45 would have been a better choice so I could creep up on the fender.
          The 19s present two issues; tire selection and clearence. On the OEM 15x4ish wheels I’ve been running, I wanted a period looking tire and went with the smallest Vredestein Sprint Classics I could find, at 155/80 and outside diameter of 24.8”. Its a tall tire relatively speaking, and I’ve wanted to go smaller to gain another inch in low. My goal with these 19s is to maintain the aired out position of the 15s. So unnecessarily increasing diameter through aspect ratio isn’t an option I want to pursue. Another tire issue is width, which the rear of the Amazon doesn’t favor well in clearance. So the tire had to be no wider than the rim, and no taller than 24.8” So utilizing the Ultimate Tire Stretch Guide thread on Stanceworks, combing through pictures on Tyre Stretch, and plugging numbers through Will They Fit, I arrived at 215/35 tires as an ideal size. More google and combing through stretch pics I arrived at Nankang NS-25 215/35 r19 tires. While not what I had in mind, when you win wheels you try new things.

Stretch (a #2 according to the guide)

Testing fitment

This is what I’m dealing with on the Fender side. So will need to roll. Unknown at this point is whether or not there is room in the curvature of where the fender lip becomes body to fit the 19s if I need to space out more.

On the barrel side of the wheel, I have a clearance issue brought on from the previous owner using the wheel wells to hammer space out for a sub woofer box. So I’ll need to hammer back in from outside into the trunk, and maybe flatten some body seams along the way.

So navigating the clearance issues on the face and barrel side will be my winter project.

Comment

Congrats on the win!
            I've been witing for the next update as it always looks so good.

Comment

Originally posted by molarface View Post
              Congrats on the win!
              I've been witing for the next update as it always looks so good.
              Thsnks Appreciate

Comment

Put the front wheels on and snagged some pics. No clearance issues with room to spare. Will decide if I want to space them out once I get the back fenders worked out.

Comment

Finally had time to get the car over to Premiere Autosports here in Indy for Kole (GTIKole) to work on rolling the rear fenders. While he did that I worked on the opposite sides addressing the wheel well issues (from speaker box), hammering the panel dents back into the trunk. On the left side after test fitting wheels, Kole flattened the body seams of the trunk spare flat. We discovered a 3rd issue with the OEM top rear spring perches - at full height extension the inner wheel barrel comes in contact with the perch. So eventually I'll get those removed since they're basically obsolete. At a slightly lowered "ride" height, no issues, but to be safer we spaced the wheel out a little.

The end result:

Made it out to Graham Rahal Performance for Cars & Coffee. Something like 1100 cars.

Comment

Finished up on the interior. Not happy with a couple things, particularly the rear bench and back, and rear sides. Those were the only pieces I didn't do myself because of a crunch to get the car ready for a memorial show remembering the fabricator of my suspension. So those will come out and get redone by me to match the fit and finish of the front seats - which came out awesome.

Stoked I picked up the "Eye Catcher" award too. Really enjoyed hearing the comments on the car by Mike's friends and family who hadn't seen it since it was in his shop.

Some more pics sent to me

Comment

Working...
                    X