Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ISO ‘73 fuel tank

Howdy,

As the title suggests, I’m looking to buy a fuel tank that will fit a ‘73 144 that’s in good to great condition (no leaks, no rust). I recently bought a ‘72 tank and it’s just slightly different, I don’t know if I want to hassle with it.
    ‘72 tank has a dent on the bottom (perhaps from bottoming out). Previous owner says it has no rust or leaks, held gas just fine, and came from his parts car.
    My current tank leaks from the top and has some patch jobs. Only filling it with 6 gallons at a time and don’t drive it as much as I would like to.

Any tips on how to make the 72 tank fit my car, that would also be appreciated!

Thanks,
    Chelsey

Any chance you're in FL? If so, I know of a '73 144 parts car. I don't know if it has a tank, but if you're in FL I can connect you to the owner.

Comment

• Chelseyp
      Chelseyp commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm in Portland metro area, thanks for looking out though!

I searched high and low for a '73 fuel tank last year when restoring my 144. Sadly, I could not find one anywhere on the planet. I ended up restoring the tank itself, which wasn't as hard as I thought. The only thing I should have done before sealing the tank was to remove the in-tank filter FIRST. I had to strip the area where the filter threads were just to get it out after realizing my mistake. After that, it all went well... I'll post before and after photos. Good luck to you!
    Attached Files

Comment

• Chelseyp
      Chelseyp commented
      Editing a comment
      Chris, wow what a difference! It's nice to see what the tank looked like and what it has gone through for my records! I've thought about placing the sending unit from the '72 tank onto this tank, just to see if it's a perfect fit. Like in our previous conversation from earlier today, I'll take it in and see what can be done. Finding these tanks are a nightmare! I might get it restored or manufactured by some family members who own a restoration shop down in Eugene. Last resort!
Working...
X