Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• P1800 Restomod Build

Hi team.

Im not usually a forum person since I mostly use Instagram to document the build. But since its a new forum I thought id give it a go.

I have a 1969 1800s. It was a little too far gone and I dont have the money to spend to get it to concurs condition. So this is a restomod build. Probably not for the purists.
    I wont bore you with all the work ive done this far (or lack of it), so ill give you a short recap of the last 5 years. Note that the build is now if full swing and making great progress so ill do my best to keep this thread updated.

This is what she looked like when I found it. About a 22 hour round trip to pick it up.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	FB_IMG_1588393050245.jpg
Views:	603
Size:	94.1 KB
ID:	160​​​​​​​​​​​​​

Name:	Resized_IMG_20200424_183526_319.jpeg
Views:	517
Size:	17.9 KB
ID:	162

In the last couple of years, ive fixed a lot of rust, with a lot more rust yet to do. I have rebuilt the motor, just waiting for some final bits before I can get it running. Its all been ordered.
    The engine bay had heaps of rust, so I decided to do a battery box delete to clean it up a bit. It also wont have the heater system, so im yet to decided what to do with the hole for the heater box. Ill either weld it up or just make a bolt-on cover for it. I am also in the process of painting the engine bay in underbody liner. I know this wont be every bodies cup of tea.

Name:	Resized_IMG_20200428_185303_782.jpeg
Views:	503
Size:	276.4 KB
ID:	163

As of today, the front suspension is going back together. She will be rolling soon for the first time in 5 years. Exciting times!
    If you want daily updates, my Instagram account is p1800_restomod

​Thanks guys
    Attached Files

Wow ! I have done the same before . Power to you. I would do a bolt on cover for the heater box ,, just in case you change your mind . Hope to see the progress.

Comment

Update on the weekends activities.
      Front suspension is back together and wheels are on. Its rolls for the first time in 5 years.
      The springs are probably going to be too tall but ill worry about that when there is some weight in the car. Its still just a shell at the moment.

Name:	Resized_20200502_154927.jpeg
Views:	475
Size:	223.0 KB
ID:	572

Name:	Resized_20200502_173456.jpeg
Views:	460
Size:	75.4 KB
ID:	573

This is the sad rear end. I am doing rust repairs in between other projects like the engine, gearbox etc. Full time body work is a motivation killer.
      The rear is probably where ill attack next.

Name:	Resized_IMG_20200503_182731_452.jpeg
Views:	442
Size:	209.4 KB
ID:	576

Attached Files

Comment

• gary.a.wald@gmail.com
        [email protected] commented
        Editing a comment
        Was IPD your source for the front end suspension parts? If you enlarge your photo with the large yellow springs, it looks like you have a new cross member and control arms, if those are the right terms. That is important to me since I am about to sand blast my old parts but your new parts look like the way to go if I can find them. So who was your source, if you don't minding sharing? Bye the way, you have motivated me to complete my restoration project. I have a 1972 1800E that we purchased new but 45 years of Chicago area winters with salt on the roads have been unkind the car. I am now living in North Carolina and have begun the restoration. In my case, the engine and the transmission have been rebuilt (re-bored, slightly larger pistons). It turned out well I have turned to the engine compartment. We should compare notes.

What engine do you intend to install?

Comment

It will have just the original B20, with an M40 rather than the M41. I didnt want the cost of the build the balloon out.

Comment

looks like we are in this together. I'm having someone do all my bodywork. I need some frame replacement and I'm not good at that.

Comment

Originally posted by mercoline3 View Post
            looks like we are in this together. I'm having someone do all my bodywork. I need some frame replacement and I'm not good at that.
            Im learning as I go haha. I had to replace a front section of the chassis. The rest of the rust is mostly panels. Nothing too serious.

Comment

Looks amazing dude! I have so much respect for people who custom fab stuff. Keep up the good fight against all that nasty rust and keep us posted, I'd love to see your progress.
              Customer Service guy | [email protected] | 800-444-6473 ext. 181

Comment

Hi guys,

So another quick update after the weekend. Didnt get a lot done.

I stripped the steering box for a clean and rebuild. Im glad a did, a fair bit of sludge in there. Painted most of it yesterday, some more today. Then it will go back in and ill have steering again.

Name:	Resized_20200509_153810.jpeg
Views:	393
Size:	255.9 KB
ID:	1102

The fuel flap was not aligned well so I couldnt open it all the way. The bolts had previously been butchered so I had no choice but to finish them off to get the lid off. The entire fuel cap recess is rusted out. So ill probably have to make one.

Name:	Resized_20200510_111220.jpeg
Views:	394
Size:	38.5 KB
ID:	1103

Which brings me to my next issue. My fuel tank is not usable. Its so far gone. And the boot floor is also in bad shape. So im going to need to replace most of the floor. I have been looking at fuel tank options. Im considering using something like below. An aluminium fuel cell. New tanks for the 1800 are about $1000 in Australia so that not really an option. If I go this way, ill modify the floor to accommodate the new style tank.

Name:	images.jpeg-72.jpg
Views:	387
Size:	15.3 KB
ID:	1101

Comment

The good people at IPD have delivered the final bits I need to get the engine finished and mounted.
                  Cant wait to fire her up.

Name:	Resized_20200519_131405.jpeg
Views:	384
Size:	282.4 KB
ID:	1420

Comment

I have a late model (July build like Irv Gordon's) 66 1800s that I have owned since 1969. I also have a earlier 66 1800s motor (2000 miles on the overhaul, complete except for a carb or 2?) and tranny that I bought out of a rollover in 1979. All have been sitting unused in my insulated garage since 1993!
                    Problems over the years:
                    1) Twisting off aluminum replacement keys in when it sat outside in minus 26 degrees (it started everyday in that ten day siege),
                    2) Generator and Voltage Regulator failure in mid 1970's (is the one wire Alternator the best fix?),
                    3) Power Brake booster failure (overhaul, replace, or go back to standard non-power brakes).

Comment

Back at it!
                      Want to buy the 1 wire replacement for the Volt Reg/ Generator (If I can find the source again).
                      Looking for a rebuild on the back up motor and want a turbo / super charger conversion from a reliable source. In the meantime will fire the 2000cc
                      .250 overbored original w 90k on it.

Comment

Working...
                      X