Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hello. I would need help with my volvo 240.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello. I would need help with my volvo 240.

I bought a volvo 240 4 door. The guy posted for $700 and i offered him 500. I got it for that deal. But the problem was that i didn't idle correctly. Like when your carb is dirty. It's the first time i work on my own car and that's fuel injection. I started by dismantling the whole fuel rail, IAC valve, the throttle body and the fuel thank. O cleand the fuel lines with alcohol and a compressor. Changed the fuel filter and cleaned the IAC valve that it was full of grime. I also changed the spark plugs. I assembled everything back. It's starts but when you press on the gas it dies. I do have a couple of vacuum lines that i don't remember if i conected them correctly. But whay i find weird is that it dies. It looks like it would be that it need more gas. Know the fuel pump was connected wrong and once smoke came out of it. I'm not sure if i have made a mistake or it could be that the fuel pump is kinda dead.

I would double check your vacuum lines and check the fuel pressure at the rail (here's a good video on that process: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h96KJk5Sfc4) and it wouldn't hurt to make sure you check the voltage on your battery and if it's being charged properly by the alternator. Once you verify it's getting enough fuel pressure (or not) that will eliminate the fuel pump variable and you can continue to troubleshoot from there.
    Customer Service guy | [email protected] | 800-444-6473 ext. 181

Comment

Thanks I'll check that out sunday, i se that i have one of the lines incorrectly connected. I did change the orings on the injectors. I pretty sure the pcv system is clogged and the water pump gasket is broken. But I'll investigate all this information you gave me. Thank you so much. I bought a haynnes book but to say the truth i get confused with the technical english they use plus they give not much information or they mix it with the carburetor model.

Comment

I hear you, the Haynes Manual helps but it's more of an overview than a super specific book. A good trick you can do to check the PCV system is called a glove test. All you have to do is grab a rubber glove or a small bag, take the oil filler cap off, and secure the glove over the cap hole. If it inflates, then you've got positive crankcase pressure. If it sucks down on the glove that's a good sign it's doing its job. Make sure no air is escaping past the glove so you get an accurate reading. Also, you might wanna zip tie it down or have a buddy hold it just so it doesn't get sucked into the crankcase by accident!

For 500 bucks you're always going to inherit some kind of maintenance on a car, but all the issues you've mentioned are totally fixable without having to spend too much money. From the sounds of it, the engine and transmission are still working and you've just got to sort these little things out. Let me know if you have further questions and good luck!

Comment

• N4GUZ
          N4GUZ commented
          Editing a comment
          So u changed some lines around. At the moment I don't have a fuel pressure gauge.
          Now what it does that it trys yyo start but it doesn't or if it does it takes around 5 to 10 cranks. I'll send a couple of pictures and a video of when it started

My beauty. I got lucky. I bought for $450. The guy told me that he bought from a mechanic for $3500 that had for many years. It doesn't have all most any rust and the rust that it has is superficial.
        I'm so in love with it.
        I do want to manual swap it (after it function's correctly) and coilovers.
        I'm thinking in buying c4 corvette wheel with adapters from 5x108 to 5x120 to put on it. But that's for the future. I also got the square lights to swap them on ( i liko does lore than the 2 square or round one's).
        P.S. Sorry for my bad writhing. I only went to elementary in the Us, all the rest was in Argentina (i am living in the us xD right now xD)
        Last edited by N4GUZ; 02-13-2021, 05:20 PM.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	20210215_125914.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	2.00 MB
ID:	5390
          Attached Files

Comment

I do have a video but i can't send it. This is my email: [email protected] Any body that could help with this it would be great. It's going to be my daily. I don't have credit to buy another car. I saw the opportunity and bought a car that i know it's a thank. I just don't have nobody with knowledge around me. My dad that knows a lot just went to prison in Uruguay. My coworker (from when i i worked as a mechanic) told my he would help me and just bailed. I will keep posting. I'm grateful for all the information you have given me. I'm not sure what it's doing know. But i smell raw gas and it sounds like when carbs are drowned (I think in english it's said flooded).

Comment

Originally posted by N4GUZ View Post
              I do have a video but i can't send it. This is my email: [email protected] Any body that could help with this it would be great. It's going to be my daily. I don't have credit to buy another car. I saw the opportunity and bought a car that i know it's a thank. I just don't have nobody with knowledge around me. My dad that knows a lot just went to prison in Uruguay. My coworker (from when i i worked as a mechanic) told my he would help me and just bailed. I will keep posting. I'm grateful for all the information you have given me. I'm not sure what it's doing know. But i smell raw gas and it sounds like when carbs are drowned (I think in english it's said flooded).
              I'm happy to help, friend! By the way your english is fine, and what better way to practice it than posting in a Volvo forum?

I took your photo and circled some trouble spots in yellow that appear to be vacuum leaks. The nipples on your intake manifold are there specifically for vacuum hoses to attach to, and they control all sorts of systems in the car. I bet if you fix those then you car will run a lot better.

Do you know about the Mass Airflow Sensor? if not, it's there to monitor all the air going into the engine. The car's computer then calculates how much fuel it needs to mix with the air. if you have a vacuum leak, then that means some air is escaping before the motor can mix it with gas and burn it. This might explain why you're smelling gas, because the motor is mixing too much fuel with too little air. Does that make sense?

Also, what year is your car? I want to look up a diagram or two if I can so I can show you where all those vacuum lines are supposed to go.
              Attached Files

Comment

Will i did fix from where they went. I re conected everything because I went to a junkyard we're i found 3 Volvo's 240. One was manual 😭. Know it does work and drive. But it's still looks like it's mixing to much gas. I think it's said ildleing to rich. To the point you smell raw gasoline from the tail pipe. I changed the idle control sensor. It wasn't working correctly. But when you press the gasit will still try to turn off. Also it doesn't have no strength when you press the gas. I know it a 30 year old car. But i drove a renault 12 that was destroyed and it had more of umf in it. It's a volvo 240 4 door 84. To This point i have to fix the main problem of ildleing, the right window that it came of the braket (the glas came of the metal bracket that attaches to the mechanism), a exhaust gaskit and some interior stuff that aren't important. It also doesn't work the windshield fluid pump. It has fluid and it's not leaking. I cant check the obd because it was cut off. I'll post the engine video on my instagram. If someone wishes to look at it. You'll be able to see more closely it's behavior.

Comment

My instagram is n4guzz. But going back to the car issue is mainly the mixing. I did change most of the lines. One that you point out is the main fuel rail line.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Sounds like the air mass meter to me. My 87 245 did the same thing when it went out. No power when driving, but idled fine. I would check that.

Comment

Working...
                    X