Various Electrical Issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Various Electrical Issues

Hi everyone! New 240 owner here (1992 240 DL with around 200,000 miles). I’m 19 and though I’ve owned a car since age 15, this is my first car I’ve started working on myself (beyond oil changes and general maintenance) as a project.

Anyways, I noticed both tail light boards were being super finicky as they tend to be, so I ordered new boards and installed the right one. The left one has a broken board, but I repaired it with some solder, so I’ve left the new left board as a spare. All lights function except for the tail/brake light and the fog lamp on the right side. When the brakes are off, the brake/tail runs bright, and when the brakes are on, it dims. I’ve tried several different sockets and bulbs for both lights and that didn’t seem to fix it. The brake/tail also gets EXTREMELY hot as I would expect since it’s running bright. For now, I removed it until I can figure out what is wrong, hopefully with your help.

Additionally, this morning on the way to work, I noticed the seatbelt warning light was coming on either randomly at high speed or under heavy braking. There is a relay dangling by the pedals so I’m wondering if that has anything to do with it.

Finally, I also noticed the driver door does not trigger the dome light like the other 3 doors do. Not sure if this is normal.

Thank you in advance!

Here is the link to a video of the tail light issue https://youtu.be/tjHUFyInj4o

As for the tail lights ....you have a bad ground.

Comment

Sometimes electrical gremlins like these can be attributed to poor charging via the alternator, a bad ground somewhere under the hood, or maybe a battery on the way out. Have you been able to see what your voltage is with a voltmeter on the + and - terminals of your battery?
      Customer Service guy | [email protected] | 800-444-6473 ext. 181

Comment

Originally posted by IPD-PaulK View Post
        Sometimes electrical gremlins like these can be attributed to poor charging via the alternator, a bad ground somewhere under the hood, or maybe a battery on the way out. Have you been able to see what your voltage is with a voltmeter on the + and - terminals of your battery?
        The battery was just swapped by the previous owner before they sold it to me. Multimeter says 12.98 volts.

The seatbelt light got really goofy on the way home. Just about every bump I hit, it would go off or on.

EDIT: The seatbelt light seems to sometimes go off when the steering wheel is at a certain angle when in drive but not moving.

Last edited by liambatanides; 06-30-2022, 12:30 AM.

Comment

Working...
        X