Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R 4C Suspension

Hello Fellow R owners,
    Does anyone know a 4C suspension expert? I have the intermittent "Chassis Settings Service Required" message. I replaced the struts, all of the sensors are reading correctly, via my Volvo specific scan tool but I can't seem to narrow it down to the root cause. It comes on more often in hot weather, >80F, but sometimes the ambient temperature does not seem to matter. There does not seem to be a particular type of road surface, right or left turns, or quick movements of the steering wheel that result in the message. I did replace the clock-spring assembly and re-calibrated it. I performed the re-calibration of the 4C when I replaced the struts as well.

2005 S60R; 160K miles; 4C; Brembos; IPD cat back exhaust; Snaab intake; IPD upper engine mount; IPD billet transmission mount; IPD blue poly almost everywhere; IPD HD upper strut mounts; IPD HD turbo control solenoid; Xemodex electronic throttle body.

Any help would be appreciated
    Last edited by Allen544; 05-27-2020, 10:58 AM. Reason: Added model type and modifications.

just a quick thought i was replacing the passenger side accelorometer got a part from tasca however this accelorometer that i got from volvo usa llc was a used one. the only reason i was replacing the old part was i lost the bracket that held the old part. by replacing the old one the "CHASSIS SETTINGS SERVICE REQUIRED" message shows up tried to reset it manually but will not go away. what i did was i replaced the used part from volvo and by using the old one and tie strapped it to the strut the " CHASSIS SETTING SERVICE REQUIRED WENT AWAY" THIS TOLD ME THE ACCELOROMETER VOLVO SEND ME WAS BAD.

Comment

Electronic parts replacement requires VIDA-DiCE. The CONTROL MODULE won't recognize a new part until you, with VIDA-DiCE, tell it (module) to recognize and activate the new replacement part.

that is why the error message popped up. Module compared the parts info to its stored info and it found a discrepancy. Put original part back in and module recognizes it, message goes away.

IN A NUTSHELL, THAT'S HOW CARS WORK NOW. ANY BUILT AFTER 05. GONE ARE THE DAYS OF THE GUY IN THE GARAGE MAKIN **** WORK.
      Last edited by 05V70RGT; 05-29-2020, 09:39 PM.

Comment

Steering angle sensor? That's is what mine was doing, would only do it on hot days.
        Last edited by Rodtheviking; 06-02-2020, 09:06 AM.
        Vancouver WA
        2006 S60R M66

Comment

I replaced and re-calibrated the steering wheel angle sensor assembly.

Comment

With a new or used one? I put in a good used one and didnt have to calibrate and it cleared my codes.
            Vancouver WA
            2006 S60R M66

Comment

New. It had no effect on the 4C system related message. I am stumped. Many forums suggest it is the electronic module that controls the suspension. Those are pretty expensive. It can go weeks working just fine and then the message pops up in the window Chassis Settings Service Required. Volvo dealer wants you to sign over your first born and be placed in your will to even begin to look at this one. I guess I will just live with the problem until it becomes constant.

Comment

Have you checked the accelerometers located behind the front bumper? Those can get corroded connections and cause some issues.
                Vancouver WA
                2006 S60R M66

Comment

Thanks, I will check the connectors.

Comment

This system has by far been the biggest PITA with my 05, I hate to say it but if you have a dealer you can trust they can pin it down and get it fixed once and for all. My module was damaging one accelerometer over and over until they determined it was the module since everything would work fine for about 6 months. After replacing the module “lifetime warranty” they also gave me a new acc. at no cost to be sure. Food for thought if you are fed up

Comment

You say volvo specific scan tool... do you have VIDA/DICE? After you changed that sensor, I would imagine you should do a SUM calibration in VIDA.
                      If you have a code stored in VIDA, you can double click on it to see some troubleshooting info including what specifically could cause this fault (signal from XXXX sensor value to high, short to supply voltage etc.) The error message displayed on your dash is not very helpful when troubleshooting issues like this, you need the exact error code in VIDA. This will give you a list of possible things to go after.
                      You can also monitor values from the rear ride height sensors and front accelerometers (or any other sensor on the car) etc. in real time which can help you identify a bad sensor.
                      Idk if you already know this, good info for others anyways if so.

Comment

Originally posted by TristanScott View Post
                        You say volvo specific scan tool... do you have VIDA/DICE? After you changed that sensor, I would imagine you should do a SUM calibration in VIDA.
                        If you have a code stored in VIDA, you can double click on it to see some troubleshooting info including what specifically could cause this fault (signal from XXXX sensor value to high, short to supply voltage etc.) The error message displayed on your dash is not very helpful when troubleshooting issues like this, you need the exact error code in VIDA. This will give you a list of possible things to go after.
                        You can also monitor values from the rear ride height sensors and front accelerometers (or any other sensor on the car) etc. in real time which can help you identify a bad sensor.
                        Idk if you already know this, good info for others anyways if so.
                        VIDA/DICE is that next level stuff. I really gotta get me a setup for home use, I use it every day here at work!
                        Customer Service guy | [email protected] | 800-444-6473 ext. 181

Comment

Originally posted by IPD-PaulK View Post

VIDA/DICE is that next level stuff. I really gotta get me a setup for home use, I use it every day here at work!
                          It really is invaluable!

Comment

Working...
                          X