Volvo 850 Engine Knocking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Volvo 850 Engine Knocking

Recently I've just started hearing a knock in my engine. My dad and I looked under the hood to see if we could see anything and the sound seemed like it was coming from the engine. My dad says that he thinks it is a lifter knock but I don't have enough knowledge to know anything about that. Is there any major problems that the 850 engine have or can anybody help me out in identifying the issue and fixing it.

Rod knock? Miles?
    if it's a rod knock a rebuild is the only fix. Thicker motor oil can help with the sound but won't change the fact that it's worn out.
    the engine doesn't have "lifters" and the sound coming from the top of the motor would be more of a ticking sound. Use a long screwdriver like a stethoscope. Touch the tip to the engine as you put the handle end to your ear. Probe around CAREFULLY and the louder it gets will point you in the right direction. Rod knock will be lower and valve noise will be higher up.
    Last edited by 05V70RGT; 12-13-2020, 09:57 AM.

Comment

as 05 says you have to differentiate between a tick and knock. all these engines tick at idle and not really a big issue. if you hear it under load its a knock. which is lower end and
      is the death knell. rare but harder to diagnose is a piston pin/upper rod nock or tick. I would just guess you have a valve tick. ignore it and it may go away. You can ignore the other
      ticks and knocks too as there is nothing you can do about them but junk the car when it lets go.

Comment

Originally posted by 05V70RGT View Post
        Rod knock? Miles?
        if it's a rod knock a rebuild is the only fix. Thicker motor oil can help with the sound but won't change the fact that it's worn out.
        the engine doesn't have "lifters" and the sound coming from the top of the motor would be more of a ticking sound. Use a long screwdriver like a stethoscope. Touch the tip to the engine as you put the handle end to your ear. Probe around CAREFULLY and the louder it gets will point you in the right direction. Rod knock will be lower and valve noise will be higher up.
        This is a clever trick I'll have to remember.
        Customer Service guy | [email protected] | 800-444-6473 ext. 181

Comment

Working...
        X