Announcement

Collapse

Volvos Through the Gorge - Volvo Car Cruise

It has been quite some time since we have been able to get together. During this unfortunate time everyone has been doing their best to navigate through unforeseen challenges. That’s why three prolific members of the Volvo community figured it would be best to partner up and host a car show before summer ends. IPD, Vol-Tech, and DLR Nordic got together and organized a car meet followed up by a drive through the majestic Columbia River Gorge ending up at Murphy’s Family Watering Hole in Bingen Washington. We hope you’ll join us for lunch. This is purely a gathering of enthusiasts looking to have some fun and chat about their Volvo. We look forward to seeing you September 25th!

SATURDAY 25th 8:30am

CAR MEET AND DRIVE THROUGH THE GORGE EVENT

We will meet at IPD Volvo at 8:30am. If the main lot gets full we will start parking cars along Ainsworth Circle right outside of IPD’s driveway. For those who want to go for a drive through the Columbia River Gorge, we will leave IPD at 10AM. The caravan will hit I-205 North and then head out HWY 14 East to Bingen Washington (directly across from Hood River) For those of you joining us for lunch at Murphy’s Family Watering Hole you will receive a $5.00 off coupon.

Note***** IPD, DLR Nordic, and Vol-tech are not responsible for any incidents or accidents that may occur during this drive event. Everyone who attends will be driving and participating at their own risk.
See more
See less

850 Engine Swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 850 Engine Swap

My engine might be toast so I've been looking at other engines to possibly replace it. I'm getting it checked out soon so hopefully it can be repaired. I have a 1997 Volvo 850 glt wagon so it's got the 190hp turbo engine with a 4-speed automatic transmission. The R engine is basically the same so I'm not worried about it fitting but I'm just wondering about the transmission. Would the R engine be adaptable to the transmission (since I believe that the R engine has a 4-speed auto version) or would I have to buy a new transmission for it too? If it is adaptable is there anything else I would need to worry about replacing for it?

*Update* The engine is basically dead.

Comment

That’s to bad! What happened to the motor ?
      if you find an R motor and trans it should be an easy swap, with little to no modifications needed. Just make sure to get the ECU as well

Comment

If you just have the motor it should work just fine with the GLT transmission that is in the car now

Comment

Multiple problems with it and it’s just cheaper to buy a new engine rather than get it sent somewhere to get torn apart and fixed. Plus if I get a R engine I get like 40 more hp. But now I get to do the fun process of trying to find a good condition engine and ecu.

Comment

Not worth the hassle of trying to find an R motor. You will have better luck just finding another GLT or turbo motor and just upgrade to a 16 or 18t with bigger injectors a tune and a rip kit.

Comment

Thanks for the advice I’ll keep that in mind but I’m gonna try and look for one if not I’ll just buy a glt one.

Comment

No difference. GLT or R. Both are the same. the ECM is what makes the power.
                Last edited by 05V70RGT; 02-03-2021, 12:37 PM.

Comment

So then if they're the same engine could you but in a R ecu into a glt engine and basically have a R engine?

Comment

Yes Basicaly the turbo engines are the same. Its ECM that makes the difference.. the NA models have a 2.4 ltr instead of 2.3 ltr and the intake manifold is bigger throttle inlet . If you have the time best option is search out a manual transmission...im curious to excatly whats wrong with the original engine.?
                    Last edited by 850ARE; 02-02-2021, 07:17 AM.

Comment

Yes, my wife's 850 turbo wagon is an "almost R" cuz it has everything an R has except for the VIN number. Slapped an R ECM in it and BINGO

Comment

That's what I'm going for the "almost R" set up. I'm more than welcome to talk to you if you want to talk about the engine. There's a lot of issues with it and it's basically dead. A manual transmission would to cool to get but then I have to rip out the auto trans stuff and change the shifter and stuff. Plus I would need to learn how to drive manual.

Comment

Maybe you can post what issues you had with your motor, just so anyone who reads this can make sure catastrophic failure does not happen to them.

Comment

I just had 3 main issues. 1. I had a engine tick that sounded terrible and I put some stuff in it to clean out the engine but it didn't help. 2. When getting up to around 3k rmps the engine would kinda seize up and it would rattle. 3. I would get up to 4k rmps and the engine would stall for about a half a second. I was told it was a problem with the tcv and I tried fixing it but no luck. I have some other posts with the issues already on here that you can look at if you want.

Comment

Learn to drive a manual, they're so much more fun. It's a fairly simple swap as well.

any engine you're going to buy, R or otherwise, should be checked for compression at the very least. I have an 05 V70R for sale for DIRT ASS CHEAP if you have to have an R engine. Of course it would include the rest of the car as well. BIG 4 pot BREMBO calipers, awd, 300hp. Just sayin.

Comment

Working...
                              X