No announcement yet.

850 Engine Swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• All of the shift related stuff. Cables n things.

Comment

• I'll ask her for that stuff. She just told me to create a list for her and she'll go out and try to find everything. I ordered it a month in advanced so she'll have time to look for it and get everything we need. If not there's a auto zone right down the street from which I'm guessing has a lot of that stuff.

Comment

• Yes, slave cyl. and lines, hoses.

There are 2 different manual transmissions available. An M56L and an M56H the H is the more desirable one. Different gear ratios

Comment

• you really need to find a doner NA manual car or all the little stuff will bleed you. a few years back they were 300 with bad head gasket. Now they seem to be all gone though.

Comment

• If I remember correctly, he's close to Canada where NA manuals are pretty common. Or at least they were not long ago

Comment

• There's a few junkyards near me so I'll take a look just to see if I can find one near me but if not I'll look to see in Canada. If you see any pop up anywhere in or near Michigan just let me know.

Comment

• When you pull the engine, or disassemble, don't be in a hurry. When you start, it's lots of fun, you're excited, and you just want to make progress. Everything looks reasonable when it's all assembled, but when yo start reassembly things can get very confusing. Take pictures. Draw diagrams. Label parts and connectors. Use a million ziplock bags to hold the bolts for this and the screws for that and label the ziplocks.

I've never started and finished a project and thought 'Gee, I wish I hadn't spent so much time staying organized.'

Also, most bolts or studs break because you just weren't patient enough. I have a friend that restored cars for a car museum in Kalamazoo, and he told me he never saw a fastener you couldn't get out in one piece with enough thread penetrant, heat, time, and patience.

Comment

• Will make sure to do. I'm watching videos on youtube to try and get a understanding of how to do it. Also just curious, does he work for the Gilmore car museum? I believe that's in or near Kalamazoo. I've been there before and it's a really cool place.

Comment

• Just found this website: https://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/fo...hp?f=1&t=28973
                    it gives a detailed step by step guide to taking the engine and transmission out with pictures. We just need to get the lift from my friends house and then we can start getting the engine out hopefully those weekend.

Comment

• Yup, Gilmore Museum. He has his photo record (put a camera up in the corner of the shop, snapped a frame every day, and assembled them into a video) of the Duesenburg he did. I've also heard about Ferraris and a Tucker and others. The difference between the museum and you is that they more or less had unlimited time and money -- they didn't care what it took to make it perfect.

Comment

• Robert DIY is a great resource.godbless him.. and remember any bolts or parts you have left over when you’re all done just throw in the trash. LOL... goodluck

Comment

• I’m well aware of Robert. The man has saved me many times. I’ll make a whole system to organize my parts and keep track of them. Some of the nuts I might replace based on what shape it’s in.

Comment

• Does anyone know where to get a good rev limiter. You can get them online easily but I'm not sure if you can just buy any or you need a certain one.

Comment

• A Rev limiter is built into the ecu. So maybe you mean something else? A tachometer as in a guage? Explain please

Comment

• If the rev limiter is built in then I'm good. I just wanted to get a limiter so that I don't blow up my engine from over revving it especially since I'm gonna learn manual on it.

Comment

Working...
                                X