XC70 2016 Wheels and Tires Recommendation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XC70 2016 Wheels and Tires Recommendation

I'm new to the ipd forums and this is my first post requesting assistance... I live in New York and I own a 2016 XC70 AWD T5 2.5L that currently has 36K miles on it. I enjoy the outdoors (...hiking, backpacking, camping, skiing, kayaking, mountain biking) so I'm always loading up my car with gear. Previously I owned two Nissan XTerra 4WDs which I loved because I could get through any kind of terrain and weather without any concerns, but the reality is that I am 5'1" so the XC70 is more practical for me to load and unload and it's my only vehicle so I use it to drive to/from work. My only gripe with the car is that the stock tires (235/50 R18 97V Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Weather Run-Flats) are not great in winter and it seems I often have to fill them up because they run low on air when temperatures change. I bought a Viair portable compressor, so filling up is no longer that big of a deal but I need to replace them anyway because one tire is bulging and they've developed cracks. Having said that, I'm looking to upgrade my car to something more off-road worthy (I love ipd's XC70R All Terrain!) so I'm looking for recommendations on wheels & tires upgrades from the forum community. Here's what I'm hoping to achieve, it's complicated (to me) so please bear with me:
    1) Buy a full size spare (wheel and tire - stock is a "doughnut" basically and if I'm on a remote dirt or snowy road I'll be more comfortable with a full size spare)
    2) I need new (better) tires now, but I'm not planning on lifting the car and upgrading the suspension just yet
    3) I could stay with the 18" wheels, buy an extra one for the spare, and buy (better) all weather tires and rely on chains (which I think are illegal in NY but maybe not off-road) but I think I want all terrain tires eventually and although those go on 15"-18" wheels I might want a smaller wheel...
    3a) Are there 15"-17" wheels that accommodate all terrain tires that fit in the 2016 XC70 wheel wells (and not require new calipers or major mods) without lifting the car?
    3b) Can those same wheels support a larger all terrain tire after I lift the car?
    3c) Could I even fit an all terrain on my 18" that fit in the 2016 XC70 wheel wells (and not require new calipers or major mods) without lifting the car?
    I've been looking at:
    All Weather (18") Continental ExtremeContact DWS06, Continental Pure Contact LS, Michelin Primacy Tour A/S, Pirelli Cinturato P7 (not available in 18") and Pirelli Scorpion Verde (which I don't like)
    All Terrain (15"-18") General Tire Grabbers (various), BF Goodrich All-Terrain T/A KO2 so far...
    I think I answered my own questions by just writing all that out... I can keep the 18", get the ExtremeContact DWS06 or Michelin Primacy Tour A/S then upgrade to a larger all terrain on the 18" after I lift the car... Duh
    I realize there are a lot of "if's" and I'm trying not to buy things twice (I could just sell the used stuff)... Any advice would be appreciated, thanks!
    2016 XC70 T5 2.5L AWD, 36K miles... Working towards building something like ipd's XC70 All Terrain but current car config is stock.
    Tires need replacement and would like a full-size spare: 7.5Jx18 ET55 (stock) & 235/50 R18 97V Pirelli Scorpion Verde AW (stock)

A more specific follow up question: Will an LT255/55 R18 fit in the 2016 XC70 without interferences? I used an online tire comparison tool and the differences seem small...
    2016 XC70 T5 2.5L AWD, 36K miles... Working towards building something like ipd's XC70 All Terrain but current car config is stock.
    Tires need replacement and would like a full-size spare: 7.5Jx18 ET55 (stock) & 235/50 R18 97V Pirelli Scorpion Verde AW (stock)

Comment

I can’t tell you what size will fit but I can recommend something along the lines of a BFG A/T KO. It’s a light truck tire so you will feel the imperfections in the road more. But they do good off-road and they are a good four season tire.

Comment

Working...
      X