No announcement yet.

Hot car, nearly empty tank, backfire...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hot car, nearly empty tank, backfire...

Ok, it’s hot today, daughter drove her 2001 s60 earlier, parked in the sun when home. Later, she needed to go to work, started the car, I heard a nice backfire, then a call for help. The car will start, but will not stay running, it runs/revs with the gas pedal down, then conks out. Fuel tank is low, so guessing too much vapor? Will let the car cool, later in PM will try again. Would that be it, or is this an EGR, or other fun issue?
    Fixing up a 1989 740 GLE sedan, keeping a 1990 240 DL and a 2001 s60 going...

Well, the simple cool down solution was not the solution. Car will start, but you need to give it some gas to keep running, and even then it runs roughly. The code scanner shows p0458- evap purge control valve circuit low, which is a new issue. Existing issue is p0455- large evap system leak. So, will start with these, and am wondering if an ancient, clogged charcoal canister would produce this issue? Not looking forward to getting to that, it’s in a difficult place from what I have seen...

Comment

Purge valve is on the top of the radiator shroud

Comment

Originally posted by 05V70RGT View Post
        Purge valve is on the top of the radiator shroud
        Yup, that’s the easy one to check!

Comment

Here is an update. After some research, decided to start with the simpler solutions. I had previously noticed a bit of black grime on the fender just above the gas cap door, and the inside of the door was grimy. This may have pointed to a leaky gas cap. So, purchased a new OEM gas cap, and a new OEM evap. purge valve. The old valve had one brittle hose connected. So, replaced the valve, and hose, used some clamps for good measure. Installed the new gas cap. Added some fuel. Success! The car fired right up, runs very smoothly, and I have avoided, for the time being, needing to get to the charcoal canister. I will see how the car runs, and if the evap-related codes clear out. All in all, a good fix.

Comment

Charcoal cannister would be a fairly rare failure

Comment

Checking in after a few months... the evap valve, hoses, and gas cap did the trick for this problem. No troubles, or codes, for this system.

Comment

Working...
              X