Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mystery engine noise - new and intermittent - air popping sound (link to video)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mystery engine noise - new and intermittent - air popping sound (link to video)

**Solved** After "fixing" my electrical issue I created a new problem. I seem to have developed a sound coming from the right side of the engine. Sounds like a leak in a vacuum line or connection but I cannot see any split or disconnected hoses. Comes and goes, but is correlated with engine speed. No CEL or codes in VIDA.

When I disconnect the evap hose from the intake it runs bad, reconnect runs fine. No real difference in driving, though it seems to lack boost pressure. All lines look as they did when there was no sound. There is also a smell of fuel rich exhaust or something in the area. Can't feel air anywhere and using a screwdriver as a stethoscope didn't yield any info.

Any help is appreciated!
    Last edited by howmuchforagram; 10-16-2020, 10:46 AM.
    2001 V70 T5 - current
    1996 850 GLT - given away
    2002 V70XC - sold
    1986 740 GLE - scrapped

LOL of course it was something stupid. The hard plastic line connecting to the soft line on the bottom of the EVAP purge valve came undone just a little bit. Must have pulled on it doing something else. Explains the smell and sound at least.
    2001 V70 T5 - current
    1996 850 GLT - given away
    2002 V70XC - sold
    1986 740 GLE - scrapped

Comment

Working...
    X