upper motor mount

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• upper motor mount

I am going to replace the upper motor mount (driver side) on our 2007 XC70.

Looking for feedback on poly vs rubber bushing mount. It is the "square" rubber bushing style mount and, from what I read, the entire mount needs to be replaced. If I go with poly bushing motor mount, what is the "domino effect" on the other mounts? Will I need to upgrade the transmission torque mount to poly as well? Then the subframe bushings to poly? Then upper right mount (which I think is rubber only)?

I think I will be ok with a "tighter" feel with poly but being others in the family drive the car, I want to be mentally prepared to change/upgrade other mounts. Thanks!

Good question! Luckily, it won't be necessary to swap everything to poly. You can do just the upper torque mount in poly and keep the rest rubber and there won't be any issues. It only becomes a problem when you've gotten to a point that all mounts need to be changed, but then only change one. Say all the other mounts are loose and cracked and you just replace the upper mount, you'll be putting extra stress on the upper torque mount which will make it prematurely fail.

So, you may want to replace the other mounts (keeping them rubber is fine) just to avoid uneven distribution of engine support. Let me know if you have any following questions!
    Customer Service guy | [email protected] | 800-444-6473 ext. 181

Comment

Sound advice from Paul. It's easy to see if your motor mounts are trashed. Set parking brake, have someone watch your engine as you try to accelerate a little while hold the brakes. If they are good, you won't see a lot of engine movement. If they're bad, the engine will act like it's trying to escape. BE SURE THE OBSERVER IS NOT STANDING IN FRONT OF THE CAR BUT STANDING OFF TO THE SIDE JUST IN CASE YOU GO ALL ROUGE. LOL

Comment

Originally posted by 05V70RGT View Post
        ...................... BE SURE THE OBSERVER IS NOT STANDING IN FRONT OF THE CAR BUT STANDING OFF TO THE SIDE JUST IN CASE YOU GO ALL ROUGE. LOL
        Thanks - my mother-in-law, who knows EVERYTHING, is always giving me advice, think I'll let her help me check my mounts.

Comment

That's AWESOME! Wait and I'll send mine to help as well. Lmao

Comment

Originally posted by IPD-PaulK View Post
            Good question! Luckily, it won't be necessary to swap everything to poly. You can do just the upper torque mount in poly and keep the rest rubber and there won't be any issues. It only becomes a problem when you've gotten to a point that all mounts need to be changed, but then only change one. Say all the other mounts are loose and cracked and you just replace the upper mount, you'll be putting extra stress on the upper torque mount which will make it prematurely fail.

So, you may want to replace the other mounts (keeping them rubber is fine) just to avoid uneven distribution of engine support. Let me know if you have any following questions!
            thanks for the input. the transmission mount is new (along with transmission) so I feel pretty good about starting with the upper left mount (ordered today!) which I know needs replacement.

Comment

Originally posted by EricWJ02 View Post

thanks for the input. the transmission mount is new (along with transmission) so I feel pretty good about starting with the upper left mount (ordered today!) which I know needs replacement.
              Sounds good, let us know how things go!
              Customer Service guy | [email protected] | 800-444-6473 ext. 181

Comment

Received the mount today.

any ideas on torque settings for the 4 bolts on the mount? Loc-Tite too?

I assume the bolt through the bushing is 36 ft-lbs? thanks

Comment

No loctite and just gutentite.

Comment

Originally posted by 05V70RGT View Post
                    No loctite and just gutentite.
                    thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by IPD-PaulK View Post

Sounds good, let us know how things go!
                      My son did most of the work. *he is into working on cars. The install was remarkably simple.

thanks for the input!

Comment

Working...
                      X