Buying XC90 T6, what to beware of?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buying XC90 T6, what to beware of?

An offspring is looking to buy an XC90, and might check out a 2004 T6 version. Anything in particular to be wary of?
    Fixing up a 1989 740 GLE sedan, keeping a 1990 240 DL and a 2001 s60 going...

Google Volvo T6 2004 (or another close year). If you want to cut to the chase, add "transmission" to the search.

Spoiler alert: Tell the offspring "No!"

Comment

Originally posted by molarface View Post
      Google Volvo T6 2004 (or another close year). If you want to cut to the chase, add "transmission" to the search.

Spoiler alert: Tell the offspring "No!"
      Thanks for the helpful hint. The sellers of this particular vehicle claim a rebuilt tranny at just over 100k, but that’s no guarantee the issue may not resurface. That, and the still original suspension (at 180k miles), says to pass...

the listing is on Bellingham, WA Craigslist in case you are curious...
      Fixing up a 1989 740 GLE sedan, keeping a 1990 240 DL and a 2001 s60 going...

Comment

For that age vehicle I might suggest an MDX. Being a honda they tend to be durable. We had no love for our series 1 XC90, bought a 2006 MDX. Got another in 2011. Never spent a dollar beyond maintenance. The two caveats are, the MDX is a bit smaller, materials are not as nice., but the Super Handling AWD is actually very good, not just advertsing hype. The current 90's are much nicer, I think we'll be shopping both for my wife, maybe a 60 too since she really likes the smaller size of the MDX.

Comment

Originally posted by Magnemite View Post
          An offspring is looking to buy an XC90, and might check out a 2004 T6 version. Anything in particular to be wary of?
          STAY AWAY FROM THE 2.9L T6 ENGINE/ TRANSMISSION XC90!!!! Unless you like spending thousands at the local transmission shop every few years. I purchased an 05' XC90 with the T6 and 190,000 miles on it. Tranny had already been rebuilt twice before I purchased it. Only 18 months and 40,000 miles later the tranny started throwing codes again. Decided to sell it and purchased an 06' with the V8, and am happy beyond belief with the power. I would suggest another Volvo with the 2.5L T5, either an XC90, XC70, or an S60 AWD. Volvo only had the bad transmission behind the T6, the other engine's had better transmissions.

Comment

Working...
          X