'61 544 bonnet hinge pivot hole

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '61 544 bonnet hinge pivot hole

The pivot hole on this hood hinge point looks too big. Is it worn out? Or is this how it came from the factory?
    thanks
    dean

Based on what I have on my '57 PV 444, I would say no, that factory hole is not worn out, nor too large. It is there to allow the bonnet hinge to be adjusted. There needs to be a big flat washer on both sides of the hole, and a lock washer or nylock nut. With the bonnet in position and closed, tighten the nuts down quite snugly. Then gently lift the bonnet making sure that it doesn't scrape the front clip. If it scrapes it will damage the paint. Ultimately, the nuts need to be tightened down tight enough so that the big washers don't move around, but not so tight that the bonnet won't lift. You also need to check the gap at the far end of the bonnet near the window to make sure that area fits right without chipping paint.

On my car, the nuts/washers are set in the upper forward quadrant of the hole. Not sure that will be the same for you as my car did have some front end damage and a slightly mangled hinge.

Comment

Thanks. I too have pushed the hinge bolt into the upper front quadrant but still not good. I guess the only thing left to try is loosen all the bolts on the rear part of the front fender and pivot them up a little if there is slack in the slotted holes ....
      dean

Comment

Working...
      X