Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Repairing Headlight switch bezel, P2

And possibly others.

*WARNING* This is not a big, complicated "rebuild your transmission" type of DIY post.

Recently, my 2005 S80's headlight/fog lights,/fuel cover release buttons just collapsed into the dash and the the trim fascia fell off . A quick inspection showed that it was constructed of some really thin, really weak, and undoubtedly really cheap, plastic. The female portions that attach to the switch just broke off, never to be seen again. Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0004.JPG Views:	0 Size:	171.5 KB ID:	3161

No problem, looks looks like a $10.00 part or a $50.00 dealership part. But noooooo, it only comes with the switches as a set. Best price I could find, $175.00. I guess I could be OK with that because I would get new switches in the bargain but I would simply have to replace everything again when the cheap plastic trim broke again.

So, I assembled the following:

Needle nose pliers
    Tin snips
    1/4 inch chisel
    Very small fine tooth file
    Super Glue Gel (next time I'll use epoxy
    1 can Fritos Bean Dip
    Beer and tostadas

Open the bean dip, set aside and clean the aluminum lid. Cut out a few rectangles slightly wider than the missing piece, fold them over and trim out a hole. Use the chisel to make inner cut.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0006.JPG Views:	0 Size:	224.9 KB ID:	3165

File sharp edges off and glue (the super glue set too fast, even the gel i used) over the missing piece, 1 side on each side of the trim.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0008.JPG Views:	0 Size:	139.6 KB ID:	3167
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0007.JPG Views:	0 Size:	148.3 KB ID:	3166

Install in car, open beer and bag of tostadas, eat the bean dip.

Optional but recommended: Groan and moan to wife that car is unsafe for her and the kids o drive or even ride in. Let her talk you into it and give you the $175.
    Attached Files

How has this post gone unnoticed?
    you sir, are a genius!
    the real question is what did you do with the 175$

Comment

Thank you for the kind words!
      I would have liked to spend the money on an evening of debauchery but instead I added another hunnerd and bought a set of fuel injectors for my 1999 Tahoe (original owner).

Comment

Working...
      X