900 series suspension interchange

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 900 series suspension interchange

Simple question....probably a complicated answer....
    specifically in reference to the IPD sway bars for the 900 series chassis, the website says it doesn’t fit my car (1992 960).
    is there a difference? Minor mod to make it work? Just forget it and stick to day drinking?

Hello. I'm pretty sure all the 940s had the same solid rear axle design as the 240s and 740s. I believe your 960 has a independent rear suspension setup, with CVs and boots, etc? When I look at the sway bars for a "1991 940 turbo wagon", the pictures look a lot like my 240, ie; with a solid axle.

Comment

Originally posted by squareknot View Post
      Hello. I'm pretty sure all the 940s had the same solid rear axle design as the 240s and 740s. I believe your 960 has a independent rear suspension setup, with CVs and boots, etc? When I look at the sway bars for a "1991 940 turbo wagon", the pictures look a lot like my 240, ie; with a solid axle.
      Early 960s like mine have a live axle. Not sure of the year they went IRS.

Comment

Ok, got it. I learned something new today.

Comment

the 960 and 940 are completely different cars, though the share a lot of components since they were manufactured at the same time. the rear is the same American made Dana 30 on the 940 and 960 wagon, though with different brakes. the 960 sedan uses the same differential but with swing arms. Ive heard the very early 960 sedan had a sold rear, and you do have an early one. in which case the 940 sway bar would fit. however I don't think the ipd one is any stouter than the one you presumably have. (all 960 had rear sway bars)
          IPD one is designed for 940 non turbo that came without one, and no different than the turbo one. (from what I gather) since the 940 weighs 1000 (just a guess) pounds less I can't see it helping the 960.

Comment

Working...
          X