How Would Adam Build It Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Would Adam Build It Thread

Now, I'm not saying I'm an expert on all things, but I have been fabricating for quite a few years. Everything from composites, to welding, to sheet metal, plastics, casting and gluing. You name it, I've probably done it. My thought with this thread is to have you guys ask me how I'd do something custom, once a week I'll pick one of the requests and create a new post on how I'd do it. It can't be anything super specific. I'm not going to source a 1993 850 vent and build a gauge pod or anything. I might be able to just show you how I'd build a pod to fit a vent in general, but not that specific. I have some fancy tools, but most of the time I just use general hand tools. I can get as technical, or as loose as you like.

I'd like to use this as an opportunity for information to flow back and forth between all of us. I'm hoping to learn some stuff from all of you as well. Trust me, I don't know everything, once you think you know it all, might as well go lay in the backyard and let someone start piling dirt on top of you. LOL

So, ask away. Let's see what we can do together

DISCLAIMER: Anything shown here is given on a "use at your discretion" basis.

I'm looking forward to seeing the participation here. Thank you for offering to help the community!
    Chris Delano
    IPD Vice President
    800-444-6473
    [email protected]

V70R Flash Green Test Mule / 2012 XC70 AT Project / 2002 XC70 Soccer Car.

Comment

Can you fabricate me some new plastic bumper moldings for my 850 lol. I started a thread on the 850 section asking for help. All really good advice from the p80 community. Unfortunately I lack the skills/knowledge to sand down and repaint the ones installed. Especially considering I think it would require taking the bumpers off. I would hate to ruin them considering I don’t think they sell replacements

Comment

Im currently building a P1800 restomod.
        Im a mechanic by trade, but self taught when it comes to metal fab and welding. Im certainly not great at it. So im sure I can come up with some questions for you as I go along.

My first question. Bending metal. Any tips on how to bend sheet metal to the curve on a car if you dont want to buy the whole panel? This is an area I need tips and practice.

Comment

Originally posted by p1800_restomod View Post
          Im currently building a P1800 restomod.
          Im a mechanic by trade, but self taught when it comes to metal fab and welding. Im certainly not great at it. So im sure I can come up with some questions for you as I go along.

My first question. Bending metal. Any tips on how to bend sheet metal to the curve on a car if you dont want to buy the whole panel? This is an area I need tips and practice.
          Are you talking about multi-axis bending? Like doming, or just like a wheel opening replacement panel or something?

Comment

Originally posted by Swedespeed96 View Post
            Can you fabricate me some new plastic bumper moldings for my 850 lol. I started a thread on the 850 section asking for help. All really good advice from the p80 community. Unfortunately I lack the skills/knowledge to sand down and repaint the ones installed. Especially considering I think it would require taking the bumpers off. I would hate to ruin them considering I don’t think they sell replacements
            This actually is a good one. I won't show you how to fabricate new ones, That would take LOOOOOOTTTSS of hours, and probably not be worth the effort, but I can show you step by step how to paint the ones on your car. It's not really something to be afraid of if you take your time. Also, they don't necessarily need to be "sanded" in the traditional sense, it's more about the proper cleaning procedures. My 99 V70XC need the trim painted and would be pretty similar to your 850.

Comment

Originally posted by Atom D&D View Post

Are you talking about multi-axis bending? Like doming, or just like a wheel opening replacement panel or something?
              Lets start with just a simple curve. We can get to multi-axis later.

Comment

I'm a journeyman auto body tech and I'm STILL learning how to bend, as well as unbend, sheetmetal. I learned from the final generation of lead work guys. So actually, my generation is the final lead generation. Hmmm... a lot of people believe that once a vehicle gets "frame" damage, the car is a write-off or it will NEVER be right blah blah blah. WRONG.
                ASE Certified Mechanic
                Journeyman Body & Frame Repair Technician
                855 Turbo ALMOST "R"
                V70R
                C55 AMG
                Grey market Brabus
                BMW 540 touring
                BMW 525 touring
                BMW 325 touring
                Lotus Esprit. settle down, it's a 77 S1
                LOOKING FOR AN E30 WAGON

Comment

I got something for you Adam. On my 142 as you know I’m doing a lot to this thing and about to wrap it. Now I’m not going for perfect by any means but I have the rear window molding that is dented. What would you do to fix this? Is it possible to replace it?

Comment

Working...
                  X